Assistant Instructor Course
The first step in your PADI Instructor Development career
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course is the first step in your PADI Instructor Development.
This new level opens a wide new range of responsibilities to you.
Apart from the responsibilities and duties you already have as PADI Divemaster
Assistant Instructors are authorized to:
Assistant Instructor Prerequisites and Paperwork
- Present the academic elaboration for any PADI Diver course under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- During confined water dives, present initial skills training under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Conduct open water surface skill evaluations during Open Water Diver course training dives under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of a PADI Instructor.
- Independently teach the Project AWARE and, AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Specialties.
- Independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or confined water environment.
- Independently conduct PADI Seal Team Aqua Missions.
- Teach and certify divers in a specialty courses that don’t include dives after successful completion of Specialty Instructor Training courses for such specialties.
- After completing the corresponding instructor training, conduct Digital Underwater Photographer and Emergency Oxygen Provider Specialty courses.
To join the Assistant Instructor Course, you need to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or hold a leadership level certification with another diver training organization.
- Be fit for diving and submit a medical statement not older than one year, including the date of the IE.
- Certified diver for at least 6 months, 60 logged open water scuba dives. Have documentation of experience in deep, night and navigation diving.
- Submit proof of CPR and first aid training within the last 24 months.
- Submit documentation of any equivalent certification for entry-level, advanced, rescue and leadership-level issued by another diver training organization.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster Course diver rescue skill assessment.
During the Assistant Instructor Course, you will need the following materials:
Please contact me if you need any help ordering the needed materials.
- PADI Instructor Manual and PADI's Guide to Teaching including the sticker
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual or specialty course instructor guides for Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE Coral Reef Conservation
- Open Water Diver Manual, Adventures in Diving Manual, Rescue Diver Manual and Rescue Diver Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner RDP Table and eRDPML, including Instructions for Use booklets
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
- Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
- Divemaster Final Exams booklet
- Aquatic Cue Cards for OWD, AiD, Rescue, DM, DSD
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation slate
- Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning slate
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- Diving Knowledge Workbook or eRecord for Dive Theory Online